The library service in Haxby is delivered by our temporary mobile library. We are open five days a week, in four different locations for full days and a half day on Saturday. We stop at the same place on the same day every week so that you know when to expect us.
Changes to normal opening times:
On Wednesday 11 December our libraries and reading cafes will be closed all day for the annual Explore staff conference. No books will be due for return on this date.
Christmas 2019 and New Year 2020
- We will close at 12:30 pm on Christmas Eve, Tuesday 24 December 2019 through to Friday 10 January 2020 where we will be open as normal at 9:30 am.
- The Christmas closure has been extended into January 2020 for repairs to the interior, due to water damage caused by the unprecedented wet weather recently.
- Books will not be due during the period we are closed. We are sorry for the disruption and thank you for your continuing support.
Ethel Ward Playing Field Monday 9.30am – 6.30pm
Haxby Memorial Hall Tuesday 9.30am –5.00pm
Wigginton Recreation Hall Wednesday 9.30am –5.00pm
Oaken Grove Community Centre Friday 9.30am –5.00pm
Oaken Grove Community Centre Saturday 9.30am – 12.30pm
New Haxby library due to open now Autumn 2020.
We’ve been busy working behind the scenes to draw up plans to extend the current Scout HQ next to Ethel Ward Playing Fields to create a fabulous new community space which includes a reading cafe, library, meeting room space and changing places facility as well as continuing to be a fantastic space for scout activity. The refurbishment work will be funded by City of York Council.
The next steps begin in winter of this year, with the agreed plans submitted for planning approval. Tendering will begin early 2020 with the new library taking shape over the summer, and hopefully opening in Autumn 2020.
- Fiction and non-fiction for children, young people and adults
- Large print books and audiobooks
- Books can be returned to any library in York or renewed online
- Self-service technology
- Access to PCs is available at any library in York. The closest library to Haxby is New Earswick
- Information about local services
- Adult Education course information
- Boccia Club
- Weekly storytimes for under 5’s
- Haxby Book chain
- Car parking
The mobile library stops at all venues in car parks so parking is available at each site including disabled spaces. Haxby Explore Library is served by buses 20, 13 and 1 from the city centre.