The library service in Haxby is delivered by our temporary mobile library. We are open five days a week, in four different locations for full days and a half day on Saturday. We stop at the same place on the same day every week so that you know when to expect us.
Ethel Ward Playing Field Monday 9.30am – 6.30pm
Haxby Memorial Hall Tuesday 9.30am –5.00pm
Wigginton Recreation Hall Wednesday 9.30am –5.00pm
Oaken Grove Community Centre Friday 9.30am –5.00pm
Oaken Grove Community Centre Saturday 9.30am – 12.30pm
Haxby Library – exciting news!
We are excited to be able to share our news that Haxby Town Council has agreed a long term lease for 2nd Haxby and Wigginton Scout Group Headquarters at Ethel Ward playing fields in Haxby which allows us the go ahead with developing plans to share their HQ to include a new library space for the community in Haxby and Wigginton.
We’ve been busy working with the Scout group behind the scenes to draw up plans to extend the current Scout HQ to create a fabulous new community space which includes a reading cafe, library, meeting room space and changing places facility as well as continuing to be as a fantastic space for scout activity . The refurbishment work will be funded by City of York Council and we are hoping to see the new library open by Spring 2020.
- Fiction and non-fiction for children, young people and adults
- Large print books and audiobooks
- Books can be returned to any library in York or renewed online
- Self-service technology
- Access to PCs is available at any library in York. The closest library to Haxby is New Earswick
- Information about local services
- Adult Education course information
- Boccia Club
- Weekly storytimes for under 5’s
- Fortnightly chatterbooks reading group
- Haxby Book chain
- Car parking
The mobile library stops at all venues in car parks so parking is available at each site including disabled spaces.
Haxby Explore Library is served by buses 20, 13 and 1 from the city centre.