The opening hours change throughout the year according to the seasons and the opening hours of the park itself.
Monday 9am – 4.30pm
Tuesday 9am – 4.30pm
Wednesday 9am – 4.30pm
Thursday 9am – 4.30pm
Friday 9am – 4.30pm
Saturday 9am – 4.30pm
Sunday 9am – 4.30pm
Please note that the cafe finishes serving hot food half an hour before these closing times and last order for food at at 3pm. 9am-11:30am breakfast and 11:30am -2:30pm lunch.
If the park is closed due to flooding, access to the Reading Cafe is maintained through Richardson Street.
You can borrow from a selection of more than 1,000 books, including the latest fiction, non-fiction and children’s books (selected with the help of the Friends of Rowntree Park).
And that’s not all. You can also:
- enjoy wholesome, local, quality fresh produce, with seasonal food available on the menu daily
- check out our menu
- sit and browse the daily newspapers and lifestyle magazines
- make the most of the scenic balcony views which overlook one of York’s most beautiful parks
- get your clicks with free wifi access
- sign up for our weekly knitting group, which meets at 1pm every Wednesday
- look out for our programme of talks and classes
- buy yourself a take away drink
- indulge in one of our fantastic ice creams
- bring all the family – our children’s books and baby-changing facilities make it an idea family stop-off
- join our monthly reading group, which meets at 2pm on the first Tuesday of the month
- every third Thursday of the month join us for Scrabble for Fun
- whispering Wednesday. Every Wednesday in term time only we have a more subdued atmosphere allowing people to work on a laptop, study or relax with a book or paper.