Our reading cafe in Rowntree Park will close temporarily from 4pm on Sunday 23 December until Easter 2019 for renovation of the space above the reading cafe into a holiday let. More information about the project may be found here. As part of the works, the reading cafe itself will be given a bright new facelift with new decoration, lighting and flooring. All our other reading cafes are open during this time, so you can still enjoy your favourite cakes and relax with a lovely cup of coffee and a good book.
If you have any questions about this please either chat to a member of staff when you’re next in the reading cafe or contact us.
The opening hours change throughout the year according to the seasons and the opening hours of the park itself.
Monday 9am – 3.30pm
Tuesday 9am – 3.30pm
Wednesday 9am – 3.30pm
Thursday 9am – 3.30pm
Friday 9am – 3.30pm
Saturday 9am – 3.30pm
Sunday 9am – 3.30pm
Please note that the cafe finishes serving hot food half an hour before these closing times and last order for food at 3pm. 9am-11:30am breakfast and 11:30am -2:30pm lunch.
If the park is closed due to flooding, access to the Reading Cafe is maintained through Richardson Street.
You can borrow from a selection of more than 1,000 books, including the latest fiction, non-fiction and children’s books (selected with the help of the Friends of Rowntree Park).
And that’s not all. You can also:
- enjoy wholesome, local, quality fresh produce, with seasonal food available on the menu daily
- check out our menu
- sit and browse the daily newspapers and lifestyle magazines
- make the most of the scenic balcony views which overlook one of York’s most beautiful parks
- get your clicks with free wifi access
- sign up for our weekly knitting group, which meets at 1pm every Wednesday
- look out for our programme of talks and classes
- buy yourself a take away drink
- indulge in one of our fantastic ice creams
- bring all the family – our children’s books and baby-changing facilities make it an idea family stop-off
- join our monthly reading group, which meets at 2pm on the first Tuesday of the month