All Explore Cafes are now closed until further notice due to measures in place to reduce the spread of coronavirus.
The opening hours change throughout the year according to the seasons and the opening hours of the park itself. Current hours are below.
Monday 10am – 3pm
Tuesday 10am – 3pm
Wednesday 10am – 3pm
Thursday 10am – 3pm
Friday 10am – 3pm
Saturday 10am – 3pm
Sunday 10am – 3pm
Please note that the cafe finishes serving hot food half an hour before these closing times and last order for food is at 2pm. 9am-11:30am breakfast and 11:30am -2pm lunch.
If the park is closed due to flooding, access to the Reading Cafe is maintained through Richardson Street.
- Wednesday 9 December 2020 closed all day
You can borrow from a selection of more than 1,000 books, including the latest fiction, non-fiction and children’s books (selected with the help of the Friends of Rowntree Park).
And that’s not all. You can also:
- enjoy wholesome, local, quality fresh produce, with seasonal food available on the menu daily
- check out our menu
- sit and browse the daily newspapers and lifestyle magazines
- make the most of the scenic balcony views which overlook one of York’s most beautiful parks
- get your clicks with free wifi access
- sign up for our weekly knitting group, which meets at 1pm every Wednesday
- look out for our programme of talks and classes
- buy yourself a take away drink
- indulge in one of our fantastic ice creams
- bring all the family – our children’s books and baby-changing facilities make it an idea family stop-off
- join our monthly reading group, which meets at 2pm on the first Tuesday of the month
- Visit two Reading Cafes in one day! Download our Park to Park Walking Trail Leaflet and Childrens Walking Map