Money matters

Universal Credit

We want to help make sure you’re ready for when Universal Credit comes to York.

It’s on trial in several parts of the country at the moment and will be heading here soon.

York libraries can help you get online and set up an email address. We’ll also be working with other parts of the council to make sure your transition to Universal Credit is trouble free and that budgeting your payments is easy.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Getting ready

You’ll need to know your National Insurance number. This is on your payslip, P60 tax form or on most letters sent from HMRC. If you can’t find it, look at the lost national insurance numbers website or go to your local library for help.

You’ll also need a bank account. For help choosing a good basic account, try the money advice service website. 

Credit unions are an alternative to banks and building societies and can provide you with a basic current account. York is a member of the South Yorkshire Credit Union. You can contact them on 030303 000 10.

When Universal Credit comes to York, you’ll also need:

  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of your savings or other capital
  • details of any income that’s not from work (eg from an insurance plan)
  • details of any other benefits you’re getting

Budgeting your income

Universal Credit will mean you have to budget your money on a monthly basis. Help is available from the Money Advice Service’s Budget Calculator, which takes about 30 minutes to set up and work through.

More information about Universal Credit is available on the website..