We are looking for two non executive directors to join our board. This is a very important year for Explore as we develop the organisation and plan our growth. We are a young, ambitious organisation that is committed to the provision of high quality library and archive services in York for everyone.
The country is facing many challenges at the moment and libraries are increasingly vital to support community resilience and literacy. Archives help to provide individuals and communities with a sense of place and identity as well as recording the history over 800 years of this wonderful city.
Our work covers many areas, principally:
- Reading and literacy
- Digital inclusion
- Impartial information provision
- Archives and local history
- Lifelong learning
- Inclusive arts
- Health and wellbeing
We have 15 libraries and 3 reading cafes as well as a service that delivers our services to housebound people. We also have a developing inclusive arts service delivering a three year Arts Council funded project to transform York Explore into a cultural hub in the city centre.
These are voluntary roles, but reasonable expenses are paid. Our Board has seven members, 3 non executive directors, 1 staff director (voted for by all staff), 2 community directors (voted for by our community members) and the CEO.
Explore is an Industrial and Provident Society with charitable status that was set up in 2014. We have a 5 year contract with the City of York Council to deliver public libraries and archives in the city. We are one third owned by our staff and two thirds by our community members. Anyone over the age of 16 can be a community member
- Board meetings are every six weeks, usually on a Friday
- Each Board member chairs an advisory group that looks in detail at a specific area of the organisation e.g archives, reading, children and young people. The advisory groups each work on their own timescale, but the meetings tend to be quarterly. The chair is supported by a member of staff to take minutes and organise meetings etc. The groups are a opportunity for us to gather a range of partners, community members and staff to look in detail at a question e.g how do we increase the number of books issued, how do we include children and young people in service development
- Board members are invited to events and launches through the year
- We have an AGM where our members get the chance to ask the board questions
Please contact Fiona Williams CEO with any questions. Fiona.firstname.lastname@example.org