Keep visiting this page, as we will be updating it regularly
You can book our Autumn programme of online events for adults and children here
Events and Activities
- York Mind has launched its Mental Health and Well-being Activities Programme 2020-21 with a range of virtual and in person activities.
- York’s Festival of Ideas went digital this year and recordings of some of the events are still available.
- York artist Mim Robson has created #CreativeDiaryClub on Facebook where people can share what they are creating, large and small, successes and failures.
- Join Chris Bartram at the virtual NCEM for feel-good Cuppa and a Chorus sessions every Monday.
- We have two online reading groups you can join,
- Be All Right writing and reading activities from Ilkley Literature Festival
- Collective Acts from York Theatre Royal including a Lockdown Legends Challenge
- Daily activities from York Learning #CommunityLearningTogether
- Our new downloadable colouring pack is for young and old alike. Using images of stained glass and original drawings from the archives of J W Knowles & Sons, there is something for all abilities.
- My VLF has ongoing author events and a book club.
- Book events and reviews from the Bookseller’s BookGig
- The Lockdow LitFest started on 6 April and is ongoing
- How to Academy ongoing events, podcasts and videos
- Follow @SirPatStew on Twitter to hear him read a sonnet a day
- The Rime of the Ancient Mariner Big Read – verses read aloud (and text) by people you will recognise. The next verse is added daily
- Online content from Faber
- At Home with Penguin – a weekly peek into the homes of some of our most loved authors
- Wordsworth 250 readings of Wordsworth’s poetry by his descendants and others. Listen to a poem or submit your own reading.
- Tiny Revolutions of Connection are activities to do at any time from Fun Palaces
- The East Riding Festival of Words poetry competition is now open for entries. This year’s theme is ‘My companion, my best friend’ and the deadline is 28 November.
- MARCH network has a page of creative and cultural activities for people to participate at home
- Art is Where the Home is – sign up for cultural activity packs designed by top quality artists
- Submit a recording of a poem you have written to Poetry Archive NOW! WordView 2020
Free e-books or online reading
- From Explore e-books and emagazines & newspapers
- A short history of Literary York
- Tales of resilience and heroism, new historical fiction Authors without Borders
- Classics and books published before 1924 Project Gutenberg
- From Explore e-audiobooks
- BBC Sounds – Click on the latest episodes to find the whole series BBC Sounds audiobooks
- Audiobooks from LibriVox
- Poetry on audio from Wrecking Ball Press
- Free e-audiobooks from Ulverscroft until 31 July registration required for this service.
- Thrilling tales – Seattle Public Library
- Women’s Prize for Fiction
- Guardian Books Podcast
- Penguin podcasts
- Damian Barr’s Literary Salon
- British Library podcasts
- Pandemic Poems by Samuel West
- The Spectator book club
- The Arts Society Connected – fortnightly lectures on the arts and artists
- Google Arts and Culture – lose yourself for hours, also available as an app
- The Guardian links to 10 of the world’s best museum and gallery tours
- The Guardian links to 10 virtual tours of the world’s most famous landmarks
- York Museums Trust At Home With You
- Together at Home – live-streamed concert series from Global Citizen in partnership with the World health Organisation
- Royal Albert Home – artists present exclusive sessions from their homes to yours
- The Shows Must Go On – full length live musicals every Friday at 7pm, available for 24 hours only.
- Ticketmaster’s guide to finding the best live-streamed gigs
- Opera North – selected full length opera performances
- NCEM – Early Music Online
Theatre and Dance
- National Theatre Home – full length live plays every Thursday at 7pm, available for one week.
- Sadler’s Wells Facebook Premieres – a full-length dance every Friday at 7.30pm , available for one week
- Northern Ballet – pay as you feel digital season
- Talks, workshops and Q&As with Pilot Connects
Hack and Makerspaces
- Get involved with printing PPE in York 3D printed visor for frontline workers group:
- Maker community response to Covid-19 Plan C: Makers Combating Covid-19