Keep visiting this page, as we will be updating it regularly
Events and Activities
- Join York-based poet Robert Powell as he launches his new pamphlet Notes From A Border River which was created as part of ‘Voicing The Bridge’, a collaborative arts project on the theme of freedom of movement that focused on the Northern Irish border during Brexit negotiations in 2019. The project was sited on the River Finn that forms part of the border, and in particular, the remarkable 17th century bridge that crosses the river at the village of Clady.
- York Mind has launched its Mental Health and Well-being Activities Programme 2020-21 with a range of virtual and in person activities.
- York’s Festival of Ideas went digital this year and recordings of some of the events are still available.
- York artist Mim Robson has created #CreativeDiaryClub on Facebook where people can share what they are creating, large and small, successes and failures.
- Join Chris Bartram at the virtual NCEM for feel-good Cuppa and a Chorus sessions every Monday.
- We have two online reading groups you can join,
- Be All Right writing and reading activities from Ilkley Literature Festival
- Collective Acts from York Theatre Royal including a Lockdown Legends Challenge
- Daily activities from York Learning #CommunityLearningTogether
- Our new downloadable colouring pack is for young and old alike. Using images of stained glass and original drawings from the archives of J W Knowles & Sons, there is something for all abilities.
- My VLF has ongoing author events, a book club and will host a historical fiction festival on June 6 with some big name authors.
- Book events and reviews fromthe Bookseller’s BookGig
- The Lockdow LitFest started on 6 April and is ongoing
- How to Academy ongoing events, podcasts and videos
- Follow @SirPatStew on Twitter to hear him read a sonnet a day
- The Rime of the Ancient Mariner Big Read – verses read aloud (and text) by people you will recognise. The next verse is added daily
- Online content from Faber
- At Home with Penguin – a weekly peek into the homes of some of our most loved authors
- Wordsworth 250 readings of Wordsworth’s poetry by his descendants and others. Listen to a poem or submit your own reading.
- Tiny Revolutions of Connection are activities to do at any time from Fun Palaces
- The East Riding Festival of Words poetry competition is now open for entries. This year’s theme is ‘My companion, my best friend’ and the deadline is 28 November.
- MARCH network has a page of creative and cultural activities for people to participate at home
- Art is Where the Home is – sign up for cultural activity packs designed by top quality artists
- Submit a recording of a poem you have written to Poetry Archive NOW! WordView 2020
Free e-books or online reading
- From Explore e-books and emagazines & newspapers
- A short history of Literary York
- Tales of resilience and heroism, new historical fiction Authors without Borders
- Classics and books published before 1924 Project Gutenberg
- From Explore e-audiobooks
- BBC Sounds – Click on the latest episodes to find the whole series BBC Sounds audiobooks
- Audiobooks from LibriVox
- Poetry on audio from Wrecking Ball Press
- Free e-audiobooks from Ulverscroft until 31 July registration required for this service.
- Thrilling tales – Seattle Public Library
- Women’s Prize for Fiction
- Guardian Books Podcast
- Penguin podcasts
- Damian Barr’s Literary Salon
- British Library podcasts
- Pandemic Poems by Samuel West
- The Spectator book club
- The Arts Society Connected – fortnightly lectures on the arts and artists
- Google Arts and Culture – lose yourself for hours, also available as an app
- The Guardian links to 10 of the world’s best museum and gallery tours
- The Guardian links to 10 virtual tours of the world’s most famous landmarks
- York Museums Trust At Home With You
- Together at Home – live-streamed concert series from Global Citizen in partnership with the World health Organisation
- Royal Albert Home – artists present exclusive sessions from their homes to yours
- The Shows Must Go On – full length live musicals every Friday at 7pm, available for 24 hours only.
- Ticketmaster’s guide to finding the best live-streamed gigs
- Opera North – selected full length opera performances
- NCEM – Early Music Online
Theatre and Dance
- National Theatre Home – full length live plays every Thursday at 7pm, available for one week.
- Sadler’s Wells Facebook Premieres – a full-length dance every Friday at 7.30pm , available for one week
- Northern Ballet – pay as you feel digital season
- Talks, workshops and Q&As with Pilot Connects
Hack and Makerspaces
- Get involved with printing PPE in York 3D printed visor for frontline workers group:
- Maker community response to Covid-19 Plan C: Makers Combating Covid-19