Our customer lift is undergoing essential maintenance work beginning 2 December. This will provide a better service for access to the first floor via the lift. Work is scheduled to last for 2 weeks and during this time the lift will not be in use. Access to the first floor will only be possible by the stairs. If this will effect your visit to us please speak to a member of staff.
Changes to usual opening hours:
On Wednesday 11 December our libraries and reading cafes will be closed all day for the annual Explore staff conference. No books will be due for return on this date.
Christmas and New Year:
Tuesday 24 December – 9am to 1pm
Wednesday 25 / Thursday 26 December – closed
Friday 27 December – 9am to 5pm
Saturday 28 December – 9am to 5pm (normal hours)
Sunday 29 December – 11am to 4pm (normal hours)
Monday 30 December – 9am to 5pm
Tuesday 31 December – 9am to 1pm
Wednesday 1 January – closed
Thursday 2 January – normal hours
Library, Family and Local History Rooms
- Monday: 9am to 8pm
- Tuesday: 9am to 8pm
- Wednesday: 9am to 8pm
- Thursday: 9am to 8pm
- Friday: 10am to 6pm
- Saturday: 9am to 5pm
- Sunday: 11am to 4pm
This library is closed on bank holidays, but you can use our catalogue website at any time to reserve and renew books, and our e-library to download books and magazines. Rowntree Park Reading Cafe is open most bank holidays.
See the What’s on page for our programme of talks, exhibitions, activities and events for everyone, whatever your age or interests, or call in to pick up a brochure.
Why not come inside, take a look, and have a chat with our friendly staff?
The team at York Explore challenged local businesses to donate £90 to mark 90 years since opening. The iconic Walter Brierley designed public library has been in the heart of the city, sparking imaginations and shaping futures for 90 years. With your help we can we can continue to share a unique and vibrant future for York. Find out how you can support us
- Cafe open every day for delicious light meals, drinks and homemade cakes.
- Explore Shop with a range of items to tempt you
- Newspapers and magazines
- Books free to borrow – including eBooks and audio books
- Our Archives and Local History Service
- Free WiFi
- Internet access
- Printing, photocopying and scanning. Email your document to firstname.lastname@example.org (for black and white) or email@example.com (for colour) and collect it from the library (see more information about printing).
- Events! See the What’s On section for all events, or for events at York Explore
- Free Information: get your questions answered by skilled library staff
- Quiet space to study or read
- Fully accessible Changing places toilet